Friday, December 16, 2005

Typical Period of Prison Life

I made notes on the back of pictures, sermon outlines, etc. The following is an example: March 10, "I have charge of Morning Devotions, also services for three rooms of officers and three rooms of enlisted men. Beautiful weather these last two days. Change in spirit of camp.

March 11: Col. Goode took over as C.O. of camp. Exacts discipline.

March 13: Warm, got haircut. Lewis cut it with scissors. Changed beds to near window. Past week I have used Psalms 42, 46, 69, 70, and 71. My thoughts have been "God is alive." He will provide for all our needs. Many are very doubtful and pessimistic.

March 14: We hear we may draw an unexpected Red Cross box tomorrow.

Yes, God does provide. Praise Him.

March 16: Washed jacket.

March 18: Good service. Over 500 out. Good meal, Red Cross box is gone. Rumors about good war news.

March 20: No extra food but good thick pea soup. I got thirds.

March 21: After Sunday's service I am still hearing many good reports. Dozens have told me what help they have received. Never had such response. Praise God for His blessings.

March 27: Have had a rough time. Good news. Beautiful day. Nothing unusual (P.S. April 3) on March 27 at 3:45 I held service under fire of our tanks. Liberation. Marched out. 11:00 returned to camp. 3:30 a.m.

March 28: Started marching across Germany.