Friday, December 16, 2005

Day of Liberation

On March 27 I had written, "Nothing unusual," and when I wrote again on April 3, I had to change it. Then, I wrote, "I held service under tank fire. Liberation and marched out." It happened like this. We had been hearing artillery shells for a week or more in the distance and then it sounded like tank fire. In fact, we had a lot of debate on the subject.

On March 27, the German General in charge told us we would have to leave camp March 28 at 5:00 a.m., but many doubted that he would inarch so many of us out like that. However, we started to get ready. Our service was called off for the day and men were packing and making ready for the march. What to carry and what to leave behind were big decisions and we went from room to room finding what the next group were going to do. Since Roger Cannon from Waco had marched several weeks he knew and I went to ask him. He helped me out by giving me several pointers.

I found that the Catholics were going to have Mass and several men said they wanted at least a prayer service so I went to the Senior Chaplain and the Colonel and got permission to hold the service which had been called off. Both services were at 3:45 p.m. Student preachers helped me announce it. As we gathered for the service, we noticed the Jerries running back and forth on the hill. We saw a number of ambulances moving back and German
civilians running everywhere. We had a rumor that our tanks might get to us before the guards marched us out. Men stood on the highest ground in order to see what was taking place. Hope was written on every face. Tank fire sounded almost like it was over the hill. We remarked to one another, "Doesn't that sound like music?" "Am I hearing things?" "Can you believe what you hear?" But it was time to start services, so I went inside and others gathered. Chaplain Paul W. Cavanaugh was to conduct Mass in a room. beside ours. The Catholic men were already in and service was about to start.

I believe we had 250 to 300 Protestant men for our
service and I had asked Chaplain Stonesifer to help me.
Just as I stood up to begin, I noticed a flash to my right
at the windows and an explosion. The windows shook
and every man hit the floor. Since we didn't have a pulpit
I had placed a pool table in front of the room and was
standing behind it. When the explosion occurred, I
started under it but those in front had gotten there
first and I found shelter under the organ. In a moment I
looked up and saw Chaplain Matthews, a six-foot-four-
inch chaplain from Minneapolis, Minnesota, standing
there. I had been told that he was the bravest chaplain
on the line and he had been in combat for some time, so
I crawled out and stood beside him. I asked him what
he thought we ought to do and he said to go ahead with
the service. So I said, "Men, you may know more about
shells than I do but I think we are just about as safe here
as anywhere so we will go on with the service." I sug-
gested that everyone get down and away from the win-
dows and to the safest places possible. There was a bit
of laughter at our situation but a lot of seriousness, too.

Afterwards, I questioned whether this room was the
safest place for we could hear the shells whistle over and
we too caught the sound of small arms fire. I led in the
singing of two or three songs and Richard I. Purvis of
Oakland, California, was at the organ, and he is one of
the best. He had toured the country several times giv-
ing religious and classical concerts.

To my left was Chaplain Stonesifer and I called on
him to lead in prayer. Half way through that prayer we
had another explosion close by and this time I made it
first under the pool table. When I looked out Stonesifer
had dropped on his knees and had not missed a word. He
was still going strong, in fact, I think he had gained mo-
mentum. When he finished we got up and I spoke to the
men for a few minutes. I had planned to give a message
on "I Am the Bread of Life" but in the midst of fire and
death I started talking about a Saviour who could save in
the face of death. I told about Jesus Christ who could give
peace in war, hope in despair, life in death, and I asked
how many would like to pay the price to have that peace,
hope and life. I told them the price was confession of sins,
forsaking of sins and believing on Jesus Christ as Saviour.
Several accepted the invitation and let me pray with
them. Chaplain Matthews dismissed our service.

When we got outside the guards had put up every-
thing they had that was white so the tanks would not
shell the camp too much. We heard that the camp was
surrounded and that the Americans would soon be in.
The Catholic service was over and I made my way through
the crowd to Chaplain Cavanaugh and told him what had
taken place. He said it was wonderful and we made the
announcement to his men before they went out. I went
back into the room where we had had services and since
we were ordered not to leave the building the men were
still there and Chaplain Koskamp, at their insistence, was
leading them in a prayer of thanksgiving. A number of
the men too were praying.