Friday, December 16, 2005

Our Father

During the battle, Stoney and I got under our bunk and down on the floor. We felt that should glass shatter in we would have the wooden slats of the bed to protect us. Down under that bed with bullets whistling around us, Stoney said, "Moore, let's have a word of prayer together." I agreed and I gripped his hand and he mine. We started, "Our Father, which art in heaven—" I have prayed that prayer many times before but with the sound of bullets in my ears and with the knowledge of death at hand, I could pray it with much more meaning. While we prayed there was something that came over me and I felt something like electricity going up and down my spine and through my hand into his. I was possessed of calm and peace. It seemed like Someone had come under the bed with us. It was a calm and peace that only the presence of Jesus can give. I praised Him for His nearness and for the assurance that "all things work together for good to them that love God."