Friday, December 16, 2005

Moving Day

At 3:30 a.m. March 28, I was awakened and heard that the Germans had returned and were marching us out. I packed my blanket and few belongings and got in line. The kitchen force had cooked all the potatoes we had stored. Before we started I managed to get about ten. I considered myself lucky because those who had been awake had first choice. We were lined up and counted.

The goons counted us every day at least once and sometimes three or four times. When they made count for bread even ,though they missed it they would not give one piece more nor one piece less. We were counted and then moved out. We marched past a great number of German soldiers and started our journey which lasted thirty-six days. The other 1,000 men were recaptured, put on box cars and shipped to Nuremburg and marched eighteen days to camp at Moosburg.