Friday, December 16, 2005

Time for Decision

We walked past the tanks and on over the hill and were ordered to stop and get down. After a wait we began to sense something was wrong and the word reached us the tanks would not be able to carry so many and we would all be left to do what we thought best. Since most of the 1,500 were officers, the decisions were individual.

I personally believe the tanks' coming through forty miles of enemy territory and liberating us had a real purpose, and I am sure the spearhead either tested the defense, tied up extra troops, or caused the enemy so much concern that the battle in near-by sectors was made less expensive. But that night we were told that they had expected only 250 and could carry that number back, but that since there were 1,500 it would be too dangerous and too long to march that many back even with tank protection.

What should I do? What was Stonesifer going to do? He said he was going back to the camp and be protected by the thick walls of the buildings and would get a little food from the Serbs or from our kitchen. I didn't have a bit of food and to start out on foot would take a long time and be hard especially since I was already weak. I told Stonesifer I was going to the tanks and do what they did. He reminded me that if Jerry hit a tank, all who hung on or were inside would be killed or wounded. However, I kept on going. Just then I heard a burp gun go off. That was all the persuasion I needed. We heard that S. S. troops were around and they would perhaps shoot and then ask questions. So I ran and caught up with Stoney and 500 others and we went back into camp. I was so tired that I went to my old bunk and even went to sleep.