Friday, December 16, 2005

Old Glory Waves Again

I heard some of my comrades calling and as I looked out of the door I saw a scene that I shall never forget. There in formation was the German General and his Adjutant with a white flag of surrender. He was turning the camp over to the Americans. Beside them I saw our Colonel and our Adjutant and they had something I had not seen for some time. It had been saved for just such an occasion. There, held high in her rightful place, we beheld Old Glory waving in the breeze. The Serbs who had been prisoners had broken into our block and were gathering around. Some of our officers, too, were there. I watched one Serb as he ran forward, dropped on his knees before the American flag and reaching up took it in his hand and reverently placed the corner of the flag to his lips while tears of joy flowed from his eyes. Others expressed their relief in shouts and laughter.

Our spirit hit a high peak that night. We had not been so happy in months. We had been prisoners—now we were free. The future which had been so dark and uncertain was bright once again. We were with our troops. I felt like everything was all right. We had a few questions which were still unanswered but they were for the moment very unimportant.

Questions as to methods of moving us back, when our first big meal would be and what the Army would do with us? We were talking happily of the future, of predictions which various ones had made and who guessed the closest to and who farthest from the date of liberation.

It was an hour of rejoicing. I felt like I wanted to tell the world of my freedom. I wanted to shout, cry, and laugh all at the same time. Really, it is hard to explain how I felt. But whatever feeling I had, it was good.

We received our orders to get ready and then to move out. Others had started and we fell in line by rooms and barracks to start the march out of camp. When I came to the barbed wire which had held me in so long, I put my foot on it and gave a little spring as I put my whole weight on it. I was hoping to push it down and out of my life forever.