Saturday, December 17, 2005

Nazi Agents Confer with Chaplains

While at Bad Orb the chaplains were called one at a time into the office of a Nazi agent. He did not question us for military information. I believe the Nazis realized the war was lost for them but he wanted to sow seed of distrust in our minds relative to our Allies and to try to justify their cause. He offered me a cigarette when I first went in and I, having never smoked and not planning to do so, refused.

He asked me what I thought of religion in Germany and if I could explain Christ's attitude about war?

He asked, "Do you think that Christ would approve your bombers dropping bombs on women and children?"

I reminded him of the Blitz and of his V-l and V-2 bombs, and said that Christ did not approve killing in any country. I told him that ours was a nasty but necessary job and we wanted it over as soon as possible.

He wanted to know why we were allied with Russia, and I asked why they were allied with Japan?

He said that Japan made them a good ally; then continued to tell me all kinds of things about Russia and of Germany's relations with her.

I told him that Russia had made us a good ally. I am sure he knew that, for Russia had destroyed much of Germany's power and might.