Saturday, December 17, 2005

Prison Goblins

Our fears were many. Several men took the flu and we were not given a thing with which to fight disease. Although it was not mentioned, often we were afraid an epidemic would break out. I had managed to get my wound tablets by the guards and so turned them over to the medics, little thinking they meant much but when all such items were collected, we had a supply which doubtless saved several lives. Men would cough, all night long. I was sick about a week and had a deep cough that worried me for a while. The smoke from our Smokey Joes didn't help it much.

Our feet were constantly cold. I had gotten cold when I went to the box cars and never did thaw out. We were forced to stand out several hours at Bad Orb while they searched for two missing men and my feet and legs got cold up to my knees. Many men dropped out that day and we saw them carried to the medics as lifeless as could be. Every time we had to stay out in the snow for any length of time we had cold feet for hours. I spent six days with my feet so dark and swollen that I had to hold them high to help the circulation.

Other fears were concerning the guards. We couldn't trust them. Two of our officers were shot, each within a few feet of my barracks. The Germans claimed they were guilty of an infraction of their rules.