Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Surrender

I turned to Scho and said, "These men will need a chaplain in prison camp and maybe we had better go with them." He was happy and exclaimed, "I think that is best, chaplain." I then did one of the hardest things that I ever have done. I forced my hand into my pocket and got my white handkerchief and lifted it above my head in surrender. We walked out in full view and turned ourselves over in surrender to a little S. S. Lieutenant. I placed myself at his mercy. He had the opportunity to do with me what he would. Yet in that surrender there was one reservation and that reservation was my Christ. I did not surrender Him! I did not deny Him! I kept Him enthroned within my heart and He stayed by my side! He wanted to be there and I wanted Him more than anything. I can tell you now that in a moment like that He is the Friend worth having. He does not flee. He will not forsake His own. He and I talked together a lot those first days of captivity. In fact, there wasn't a day that passed that we didn't get better acquainted.