Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Screaming Bombs Fall on Us

In about four minutes we heard more planes coming and knew something would soon be happening. We were really "sweating it out." I was face down beside the door of the car and seconds seemed like days. We could hear the whistling, screeching sound of the bombs on their way down. They hit nearby and our car rocked on the tracks. The doors shook and rocks hit the car but most of the bombs had fallen forward and none of the cars were hit. Collier told us that this was a small target and possibly we would have only two waves of planes and sure enough we could hear more planes coming.

A lot of people won't believe such things and have an explanation that they just happen that way but here is what took place. I didn't pray for myself, but as I thought of the 3,500 men there at the mercy of the bombers I just thought a prayer. "Now, Lord, it won't be hard for you to just hold your hand over these men and cause the bombs to turn to the one side and to the other. It would save so many lives."

When I returned home I found my wife had written me many letters that were returned so I read them. The one written on December 23, while we were out under the bombers, read something like this: "Kent (our little boy who was at that time just under two years old) and I were at church today and Kent wanted to go to sleep."

His mother had taught him to say his prayers before going to sleep so he said, "Mommie, Kent say prayers." After he placed his head on her shoulder, he said, "Father, bless and keep my Daddy and bring him home to me and Mommie." I do not know what you believe, but I still believe what I want to about it.

Since the bombs fell either to the left or right of us or just ahead of us, I have it figured out like this—God, who heard the prayer of a two year-old babe must have felt He could not deny him. his request and perhaps the pleas of others.

The only ones killed or wounded were those who broke out. The next day I saw the bodies of eight or twelve men and had the report that thirty-five were wounded. Because the guards would not allow the chaplains to bury the men, the records were left to those in charge.