Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Moving to the Continent

We moved in a convoy south to Weymouth and after "sweating it out" for a time were in line to board an LST. The Red Cross was on hand with doughnuts and coffee and we enjoyed them. Some of the men ate more doughnuts than I did, but they had to go over the dozen mark to do it.

Once on board ship, we went to our respective places. My bunk was in the hold with the men and junior officers, while most of the officers were topside in the "officers' country." We were comfortable and none of us complained.

The channel was rough. One day Chaplain William H. Taylor and I were conducting a service in the hold with about fifty sailors and fifty-five soldiers. The LST was not equipped for large numbers and the cramped quarters where we had to have service compelled all the men to have to stand. As I was praying, the ship gave a lunge and when I opened my eyes I saw fifty sailors standing and fifty-five soldiers sprawled on the deck. I think I did more to win the sailors by main- taining my equilibrium than by anything I said.