Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Joining the Doughboys

Early Sunday morning we began to move forward to join the 422nd and 423rd Infantry Regiment. I was with the medics. As we started to leave Lt. Youzoh said someone would have to stay with the wounded. We would have carried them but some were seriously wounded and we did not have transportation. I noticed all the medics were grave-faced. I asked what was wrong and they told me of the decision. I wanted to know who was to stay. When I found that every last medic had volunteered, even though they knew the Germans would over-run them in a few hours, my heart swelled up within mewith pride to be associated with such men. They couldn't all stay so Youzoh took the highest ranking noncom. I found him and was going to say a number of things to him, but my eyes filled with tears. All I said was, "Sarg, may God bless and keep you. I know you'll take good care of the men." I gripped his hand and we were off.

The Germans sent out a few planes to strafe us but thanks to our own Air Forces we were saved. On one occasion I looked back down the column and saw a Jerry coming in low and about that time a P-47 was on his tail. They went down a valley and in a second or two the P-47 shot up toward the heavens and was followed by a burst of smoke coming from a burning Jerry. Other Germans had to hit the silk as their planes tumbled to the earth.